The ongoing story of our quest to become parents after an ectopic pregnancy, a damaged fallopian tube and diagnosis of MFI (due to ASA). We've done 6 medicated cycles and two fresh IVF cycles (the first of which ended in a chemical) and now an FET. How will our story end...?
Wednesday, August 3, 2011
The current plan...
After a few weeks of processing, researching, phone calls and number crunching, this is where things stand. On Monday we're going to an IVF orientation given by the clinic where we received our diagnosis. You have to do the orientation to do IVF there, and it's free, so we figured why not. On Tuesday morning, it's a trip to the urologist to find out what we can about the ASA, followed by an afternoon appointment with the other RE clinic in town to get a 2nd opinion and to compare doctors/clinics/costs. I called my insurance, and was not surprised to find out that nothing is covered. Nada. Maybe some meds...but they can't tell me until I have the names of the specific meds I'll be taking, so we're just planning on having to pay for it all out of pocket. We're lucky enough to have savings, which we were planning on spending on the house, but really, when given the choice between new carpet and vinyl siding or a baby....it's baby every time. I was supposed to call the doc's office on day 1 of this current cycle to start all the pre-IVF testing (blood work, ultrasounds, hysteroscopy, etc.), but I put it off to give us more time to decide what we're going to do and to save up a little bit more money. We have enough to cover the first cycle I think. If we have to do any FETs, we'll have to borrow money from somewhere. At this point I guess we're on track to start the testing at the end of this month, and hopefully be doing a late September/early October cycle! I'm actually starting to get excited now. The shock of the diagnosis is wearing off and the reality of the treatment and the possibility of success is sinking in and I'm starting to feel pretty good about it all. We'll see how long that lasts. In the meantime, we're just enjoying the calm before the storm.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
We just completed our first IVF cycle. I didn't get pregnant :( but the actual process really wasn't that bad at all. We have done injectable cycles in the past and those shots were much worse than these. If you have any questions or just need to talk throughout the process, feel free to ask. Hoping for only 1 round for you!
ReplyDeleteOh man! I wish you didn't have to pay for all of it out of pocket :-( You are making the right choice though. We have had to put some things on hold as well. I feel so hopeful and excited for you. Keeping you in my thoughts.
ReplyDelete