Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Two gummy bears

Today's ultrasound was just about perfect! My husband took the afternoon off of work so he could come with and had a rushed bus ride from work, so he was in a bit of a state when he got home. We were both nervous and ended up snipping at each other and fighting a little bit in the car on the way to the clinic, plus I was really nauseous and very nearly got sick a couple of times in the car so, needless to say, things did not get off to a great start.

We checked in, I went and peed and we waited quite a bit for them to call me back. I had my blood drawn and got weighed, then back to the ultrasound waiting room we went. We had to wait there for a bit too - all the waiting was not good for my nausea and trying to hold my shit together.

The ultrasound tech was great. Within moments of starting she said "things look great, we've got two babies with two heartbeats!" That's when I started to breathe again and forgot all about being nauseous. Baby A is measuring right on track at 7w6d with a HB of 166 and Baby B is measuring ahead at 8w1d with a HB of 171! After she took all the measurements she needed she turned the screen so we could see. The babies looked like little gummy bears!

She showed us Baby A, pointing out the yolk sac and the forming umbilical cord and the little heart beating away. Baby B (who I've already decided is going to be trouble!) is kind of hiding behind Baby A (plus my bladder was full despite having just peed), so we couldn't see everything as clearly as we could with Baby A, but we could see the baby clearly and his little heart beating away and my husband made the comment that with the heartbeat it kind of looked like he was strumming a guitar (which has now transitioned into a banjo). Also, during the ultrasound the tech made a funny comment that this was the smallest she had ever seen my ovaries. Ah, the life of an infertile.

She did find a small subchorionic hematoma, which explains all the spotting I've been having. The RE didn't seem too concerned about it - her explanation made it sound like SCHs are another great mystery within the mystery of pregnancy, but said my OB would monitor it just in case, and that I should call if I start cramping and/or bleeding. My estrogen was nice and high too, so I get to stop taking my estradiol! My coordinator said that I would probably feel a little better off the estradiol which was music to my ears. Then it suddenly felt like the last day of school. All the nurses were congratulating me, and oohing and aahing over the ultrasound photos and giving me big hugs. It was time to leave the clinic for the last time. I'm sad that my RE wasn't there today. I got to say good-bye to everyone else but her. They've been such a lifeline to me for the past year, it's so hard to imagine moving forward without them!

Here are photos of the gummy bear twinpops!


10 comments:

  1. Best feeling knowing you get to leave the RE and be a somewhat normal preggo at the OB! Congrats on you two lil gummi bears growing away and strong. My prediction two girls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yaaaaay! Hellloooooooooo tiny Meggolas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gummy bears, I love it! So happy that everything checked out and you plus babies are healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats your gummy bears are doing well! :) Super cute, they are! (and I hear you on the sore boobs! Totally interfere with sleeping!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. gummy bears!!! I love that!! So happy everything is moving along so nicely for you both:))

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats! It's wonderful to see the heartbeat isn't it? There are quite a few bloggers who have had SCH during the past few months, and for all that I know of, everything turned out just fine in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awww yay!! I've been stalking you on TWW, so I already knew it went well :-) Such cute pictures!! I'm so happy for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love!! They are so beautiful already <3! It was always so hard for me to leave my RE's office too, you get so close with everyone there. Mine is having a 25th anniversary picnic this month, so I'm looking forward to taking both of our miracles to that. It's funny how sentimental you will likely be about all of those people who helped you on this journey after your babies are born. I'm so happy for you, Meg!

    ReplyDelete