Sunday, September 4, 2011

Taking matters into our own hands

I'm not so sure about this... The nurse called while we were having brunch to give me the update. In her words, everything's great, LH was 14 so I definitely surged and the follicle released from my left side. Come in tomorrow at 9:30 to do the IUI!

Wait, what? Already Oed? But, won't that make tomorrow's IUI too late?

She claims not, but we don't believe her, so we took matters into our own hands today and DTD even though it might hurt the numbers for tomorrow. I'm still going in for the IUI, just in case, but it just didn't seem right to let today go by without trying to catch the egg(s). I'm going to have to talk to my RE about this - what's the point in doing IUI if the timing is all off? I'm thinking that to keep this from happening again we should just do a CD12 ultrasound, or I should call when the tests start getting dark.  Which brings up another curious thing that happened. I had to use a different brand of OPT this cycle because my usual tests that I get from Amazon didn't even make it into the mail, let alone arrive in time despite being ordered two weeks before I needed them. I'm so glad I tested twice a day with these (I usually only test once) because my test yesterday morning and this morning were both faintly negative, but yesterday evening's was almost blazing. If I'd gone with the clinic's instructions of testing every morning with FMU I would have missed it! <sigh>

If any of you out there that have been through IUI have any words of wisdom, please share. I'm new to this and we sure don't feel like the RE's office is being the most informative.

Needless to say....my faith in this clinic is not very high right now. :/ I guess the upside is knowing for sure I Oed from the good side (woot!) and that this timing is optimal for the steroids to do their job, so it's still probably the best chance at getting knocked up that we've had - possibly ever! It seems like the actual IUI is the least important part of the whole equation so I'm not going to sweat it. Tomorrow begins the TWW!









2 comments:

  1. I had my first IUI on June 30th and now I am 12 weeks pregnant tomorrow! I agree - we had the same issue. Had we followed our doc's instructions on doing OPK's every morning, we also would have missed it. I tested twice a day also, had two faint positives, and then one NIGHT, it was blazing positive! I called right away the next morning, and 24 hours after the positive, we went in for the IUI.....and we got pregnant! (we struggled with "unexplained infertility" for 2 1/2 years). Hope any of this info helps. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I went back and read all of your past posts recently....that is exactly what happened to us....got a positive OPK at night, called the clinic the next a.m., and they did the IUI the following a.m. - same as you. As you know from my previous post, we got pregnant from this. I was also really nervous about the timing being off and didn't trust what the docs were saying, but it ended up working perfectly. I think the egg lasts in the fallopian tube (where it gets fertilized) for 12-24 hours and that is why waiting 24 hours on the IUI is OK. It didn't make 100% sense to me and thought that we would miss it, but didn't. Have sex again tonight after your IUI and as many times as you can for the next 4 days or so....that's what they told us. GOOD LUCK!!!! Can't wait to see if this works for you!!

    ReplyDelete