Friday, September 23, 2011

The things people say

Last night we went to a 'welcome to the neighborhood' party hosted by a local community organization. It was really quite nice, with just a hint of The Stepford Wives to it. We got into a conversation with one of the board members of the organization hosting the event and of course the inevitable question came up, 'Do you have any kids?' When we told him no, his response was one that I never would have expected.

'Congratulations!'

Yes, he really said that.

I get it, he was playing the bitter dad card. Trying to be funny. Ha ha ha, f-ing ha. He just congratulated a woman and her husband for having a miscarriage and infertility. 

I guess it's a good thing for him the Clomid hasn't made me completely crazy yet.  The Bitter Betty voice in my head wanted me to tell the guy off, but instead I just looked a bit shocked, gave a little courtesy laugh and shot my husband a look.  I guess I was channeling the Stepford Wives already.

2 comments:

  1. GRRRRR! People piss me off! I started a new job and my boss asked me if we had kids. I told her no, but that we've been trying for awhile. She said it will happen when we relax about it. She also said basically we're lucky to have our freedom *rolls eyes*

    ReplyDelete
  2. My jaw just dropped reading this and it gave me that yucky pit in my stomach feeling. I can only imagine how difficult that was to handle in person.

    ReplyDelete