I just got back from this morning's follie check, and I'm kind of fuming. I had the gum-smacker do my blood draw. She actually wasn't smacking gum today - maybe she should have been. If she had been she might have kept her mouth shut. While she was doing the blood draw, I mentioned that going through all of this has cured me of my fear of needles. Her response: "How are you guys going to handle having a baby if you can't handle needles? This is the easy part, I would think." Welcome to the s**t list you tactless gum-smacker. That is NOT something you say to someone going through medical treatment! Of any kind! I mean, just picture her saying that to someone going through any other kind of medical treatment, asking them how they'll ever be cured if they can't handle needles. That the needles are the easy part. Not to mention the fact that I didn't say I couldn't handle needles. Obviously, I can - I'm sticking myself with one three effing times a day!
I'm waiting until I've calmed down a little to decide whether or not to call the office and let them know that she needs a little sensitivity training (or maybe just some etiquette lessons). I know I'm emotional and hormonal right now and am probably over reacting a little bit, but this isn't the first awkward thing she's said to me. For instance, there's the time she told me that she keeps tourniquets in her nightstand and it weirds out her boyfriend. Really? Really??? I'm with her boyfriend on that one. Just try to keep your mind from wandering on that one. And the fact that she always has to pick up the gauze before she goes to tape it down to see how much blood there is. I've never had a nurse/phlebotomist do that. It kind of gives me the creeps - usually they just tape you up without peeking.
Anyway, my ovaries are killing me today, which I hope is a good thing! I'm walking kind of funny, and having to wear my belt a notch or two looser because I'm so tender and bloated. I'm hoping they tell me to trigger tonight. I'd really love to kick Lupron and Menoburn to the curb. For some reason the Lupron gives me the worst bruises at the injection site, and the Menoburn just plain stings and burns. I'm still in love with the Follistim pen. I wish they all were so easy.
I'll be sure to update later when I hear from my coordinator.
It is so hard for me to believe that people who work in this industry (especially at RE's office) can be so freaking tacky. Regardless what she thinks, giving yourself 3 shots a day for weeks sucks. How did she even come up with comparing that to having a baby? Jeez Mrs. horrible bedside manner. Sorry im done now. Just makes me so mad.
ReplyDeleteThanks Toni, you're awesome.
DeleteI would definately let the doctors office know. Everything you describe is extremely creepy and insensitive. Calmly let the doctor's office know. I am sure if she is that way with you she is that way with everyone else. It is ridiculous!
ReplyDeleteIt is ridiculous, you're right. I've given feedback to my RE before, and she took it well. It is a private practice after all, run by her and one other RE, so it's in their best interest to listen to feedback. I just don't want to tick off the gum-smacker since she sticks me with a needle a couple times a week, kwim?
DeleteWhat. A. Weirdo. She needs to be reported. Because, you know, EVERYBODY who gets pregnant and goes in to L&D to give birth is so in love with getting jabbed with sharp metal objects in the veins. It's the telltale sign that you are ready to be a parent. *eye roll* What a creep. Take a pack of gum in with you next time and tell her to just shut up and chew.
ReplyDeleteha ha ha ha ha! Thanks Aub, you crack me up!
DeleteHoly cow - she's lucky you didn't give her a piece of your mind (especially since you are hormonal)! I would say something to the office. Someone who works at an RE's office should be sensitive to anything they say about pregnancy/loss/parenthood. Not to mention - what the heck is the correlation between needles and being a mom?? Why would she even come up with something like that!
ReplyDelete