Okay, yesterday was my 7:20am follie check. 7 f-ing 20 am. On Saturday. I am sooooo not a morning person. After a week of waking up at 6:30 am to give myself my morning injections, though, getting up at 5:30 wasn't as traumatic as it could have been. And bless my husband (best in the world, sorry ladies) for insisting on going with me. It was his idea to go with me, but actually, he would have had to because the headaches I've been having from the stims are so bad that I haven't been able to drive! In the past two weeks I've worked one day. One. Day. It's only because I have the most understanding boss in the world that I still have a job to go to when I feel up to it. Bless her too.
Here's how it all went down - I'm going to go in order to give you the benefit of experiencing it as I did. It was a roller coaster ride. We got to the clinic and it didn't look too busy, though they open at 7, so really they were just getting started. I got a little ticked when the woman that checked in after me got called back before me. Whatever. She got the nurse that smacks her gum in your face while she draws your blood, even at 7 am, so I counted that as a blessing. Then the other door opened and the ultrasound tech came out and called my name. Odd. They always do blood first. She explained that they were totally booked that morning, and rather than wait on me to get blood drawn, she was grabbing me now to keep on top of things. That's fine. I could tell from the empty trash can in the (un)dressing room that I was the first lucky woman of the morning. My paper 'sheet' would be the first one in there. When we were done she took me to the ultrasound waiting room to wait for my blood draw.
A few minutes later my coordinator, A, came to get me. I wasn't too sure of her when we first met her at my ART consult, she came off as abrupt and I thought she treated me like I didn't know anything, but I have come to love and appreciate her in the few weeks since then. She's very knowledgeable and patient and explains things and is incredibly kind. Oh, and she talks really fast like she's had several espressos. She's just what I want in a coordinator. As she was drawing my blood she asked how I was doing (as she always does when she sees me around the office, bless her too) and then told me the tech told her I only had one follie.
Wait, what? One? Just one??? My heart started sinking and sinking and I almost started tearing up. How could that be? My ovaries were aching like crazy! I'd been putting myself through this for two weeks for one freaking follie?!
She explained that if I didn't have enough follies for a retrieval that the RE often would convert it to an IUI or timed intercourse. Of course, I thought, the follie will be on my right side, putting us right back where we've been all these cycles before. My head was spinning and my eyes were stinging and I was going into mental shock.
"Hang on and I'll look at your report" she said. I reminded myself to breathe. She flipped through it and said, "Oh, (I detected disdain for the tech in her voice) you have a 19mm on the left and a 12 and a 13 on the right". Sigh of relief. "And you have another 11 that are under 11mm." Another sigh of relief. She explained that it all depended on my E2 level, that if it was high enough they'd probably let the 19 go and let the others keep growing. Crisis averted, maybe. At least the mature one was on Lefty, so we'd have a shot at IUI if my E2 wasn't good.
The impending phone call was the most anticipated phone call from that office yet. We went out to breakfast, trying to steer the conversation in any direction other than that of what we'd just found out, though that was
We had lunch, and came home, and I took a 3 hour nap. I was exhausted.
So there you have it. The long story of my follie check roller coaster ride.
I have to say, the past two weeks have been so much harder than I anticipated. I knew this wasn't going to be easy, but I had no idea just how intense this would be, both emotionally and physically. I naively thought my previous medicated cycles would have prepared me for this, and I'm sure they did to an extent, but holy crap this has been crazy hard. I totally understand now why some women choose not to go through this again, or take very long breaks in between IVF cycles, though I'm no where near ready to throw in the towel just yet. I just keep picturing my future child in my head, imagining what it will be like to actually have a baby to hold, and that's what keeps me going. The very fact that I can even imagine that again tells me that I have more hope now than I have in a very long time. I'm scared s**tless too. Hopeful and scared to death. That pretty much sums up where I am right now. With a belly covered in bruises and little red poke marks. This is some crazy s**t.
You should be proud of yourself this is such a tough journey. Hopefully, those smaller follies will grow and you will end up having more eggs than you think. Our long breaks are usually due to financial and emotional heartache. I'm glad your husband is your rock, that is so important!I'm sending positive thoughts your way that this will be the cycle for you!
ReplyDeleteLooking forward to seeing the smaller follies grow!
ReplyDeleteSo glad you had more follies than one and that your e2 came back good!! Ivf is such a rollercoaster. You are doing just fine. :)
ReplyDeleteYay!!! I'm so hopeful and excited for you! Way to hang in there!
ReplyDeleteWhat a day! I'm so glad DH was there with you! And I agree with Sandy, you should be proud of yourself! IVF is not for the faint of heart, that's for sure!
ReplyDeleteCan't wait for more updates!! :)
Scared sh*tless and hopeful is the best way to describe the IVF process. So happy for your good news and a strong support system. Just realize how strong you are going through this process. It takes amazing strength.
ReplyDeleteWow, having cheerleaders is great! Thank you all. Your comments warm my heart!
ReplyDelete