Wednesday, January 25, 2012

holy poop! holy poop!! holy poop!!!

I got my period Monday afternoon, which means Tuesday was CD1 in  my clinic's eyes. I've been trying to get in touch with my new (and hopefully improved) coordinator at the clinic - let's call her A - since Monday. We've been playing phone tag, and then today she was out, so I got to try to get in touch with D, the other IVF coordinator (she's hopefully also an improvement - I wasn't impressed by the OI/IUI coordinator)...but I digress. D finally called me back about a half an hour ago (I was getting pretty anxiou that it was taking soooo long ot get ahold of them!). We scheduled the SHG, trial transfer and the blood work for next week, and realize that my husband needs to call to schedule his tests since mine will be in the afternoon and he has to go in as early in the morning as possible. Then she asks a doozy of a question - were we looking to start IVF ASAP or wait until the next series? Say what? I didn't know that was even an option, I had thought we'd have to wait, but I guess since AF showed up nice and early, I may have made the cut-off...(could AF have done me a little twisted favor this time?) She's going to check with my RE and have A call me back tomorrow. If we're not too late, she said I'd start BCP tomorrow! Holy poop!! Tomorrow!!!

I immediately called my husband and told him all of it. He's swamped at work right now and freaked out about that, so I'm not even sure it sank in with him. His response was that he had thought I needed a break from the meds. I'm thinking, I need a break from being not pregnant more than I need a break from the meds. After I got off the phone I pulled out all the paperwork and started crunching numbers again. We're struggling with the decision of doing the shared-risk program that the clinic has, or going with fee for service. It's all a big gamble really, it's just a matter of where the risk is higher for us... Plus, I just submitted info yesterday to a clinical trial in NYC that an online friend of mine (that I think almost all of you know) participated in...which would save us a crap ton of money if we were to do that...but I'd have to travel back and forth to NYC (I say that as though that's a bad thing - I'm a city girl that works in theatre...I freakin' love NYC!)

Ugh - it's so much to think about, but we know we're going to do it, and we've certainly waited long enough...I don't know what we're going to do, but feel free to weigh in and I'll be sure to let you all know what we decide! Whee!!!

Oh yeah, I forgot to add - if we were to start the process now, it would actually save us $2000 if we went with the shared risk program as I turn the magical age of 35 next month and the price goes up! As though my eggs are suddenly going to expire on my 35th birthday. Or perhaps they're just more valuable then... ;)


4 comments:

  1. VERY exciting news! Let us know when you get the go ahead... I hope you can start the BCP tomorrow, that'd be such an amazing surprise for the week to kick-start early!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok im trying to take all of this in. From what I read on your blog, we will be cycle buddies. I started bcp yesterday and our mock transfer and SHG are next week also.

    Cant wait to hear your final decision! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, lots of decisions!!

    Obviously I'm a tad partial to the trial, as I've had a wonderful experience so far.

    Here are some thoughts regarding your crossroads:

    1)How does DH feel about moving forward with IVF right now? Does he have a preference whether you do it locally for $ or further away for (mostly) free?

    2) You seem excited at the prospect of getting the ball rolling now, and I love that you are excited!! To give you an idea on timeline w/ the trial: I got my very first email from the automated system on 8/11/11 (I'm not sure if that's the day I applied or a couple days later). My first appointment in the city was on 09/07/11. My second appointment in the city was on 09/21/11. After the 2nd appointment, I started BCP for 2 weeks. My ER was on 10/18/11, and my FET was on 11/18/11. That info may or may not be helpful to you in comparing timelines for local vs. NYC.

    3) How bummed would you be if you held out for the study, and then for some crazy reason you weren't accepted? I think the risk is low, since you fit all the requirements, but just in case, it would be something to think about.

    I guess what it boils down to at the most basic level are the following things:

    local vs. travel
    starting now vs. a month or so from now
    definitely saving $2000 vs. potentially saving lots more (if you get accepted)

    Big decisions, my friend! I can't wait to hear what you decide! All the choices sound promising and exciting to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh!! Exciting and crazy! I can't wait to hear what you decide! I love the title of this post :-)

    ReplyDelete