I finally talked to A on the phone! This is so surreal...I'm starting BCP tonight! Talk about squeaking in at the last minute - today is the absolute last day I could have started. I'll do 17 days of BCP, take my injections class on the 7th and start injections that night, and estimated retrieval is February 26th - a week after my birthday! It's all happening so fast, but I love it!
I guess you've probably realized by now that we made our decision. I wrote up all kinds of numbers the other night, scribbling all over the cost sheets that the clinic gave us, and we both decided that the shared risk program was a hell of a lot less scary and risky than the thought of having to pay in full for three fresh cycles and possibly not ending up with a baby at the end and just being out more that $50,000. As tempting as the clinical trial is, I have a couple of concerns about it that just ruled it out for me. None of them have to do with the fact that it's a clinical trial - I have complete faith in what they're doing and I think it's great to be conducting true research about IVF and allowing participants the opportunity to get affordable IVF.
My concerns were these:
1) The time - it would most likely take a couple of months to get through all the paperwork and testing and such and I'm just chomping at the bit to get started. And of course, there's no guarantee that I'd even be accepted into the study.
2) What if I drew the mini IVF arm? Clomid put me through absolute hell, and I just don't know that I could tolerate being on so much Clomid for such an extended period of time.
3) The travel. I know I could do the travel for a lot cheaper than IVF here at home, but the stress of traveling, and probably not being able to have my husband there with me every time that he and I wanted him there.
The two of us were in solid agreement with each other, which was actually pretty awesome. I wasn't sure he would go for starting right away, or understand my number crunching on the shared risk stuff, but he was right there with me on all of it. I love that man to death.
So, yeah - Toni - I guess we're buddies!
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI am so excited for you and it sounds like you made the best decision. Looks like my retrevial is the week after yours, but its still nice to have other ladies on the same cycle. Especially going through ivf #1.
ReplyDeleteGood luck!
Toni, I am more than happy to have a buddy to go through this with. I feel like such a newbie!
ReplyDeleteHow exciting that you were able to get started! Good luck on your IVF journey and hopefully your first attempt will be a success.
ReplyDeleteOMG I AM SO EXCITED! This is it!
ReplyDeleteHow exciting!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteYAY! There's no better feeling than NOT waiting. Its a small gift not often given in IF. Good Luck!
ReplyDelete